Thursday, October 10, 2013

too many ideas

My sister is getting her MFA in film production, and she writes a blog about her experiences. She wrote something recently, and I thought, she's exactly right! Here is what she said, regarding movies she wants to make: "Too many ideas, not enough time. No, that's not true, all the time in the world." And I thought, her sentiment applies to me, too. I have so many ideas about textile things I want to research, design, create. Some days it feels like there will never be enough time to make them all happen. But just because I have an idea doesn't mean I need to be in a hurry to see it through. I need to allow myself the time to play with my ideas, experiment and see what comes of it. There is no point in making something just for the sake of making it. If that's what I do I will miss all the joy of learning new things. And I'm in this for the fun of it. So, I will keep adding to my project list as I get new ideas, then take a deep breath and pick the one that seems most appealing at the moment. Right now it is working on the reproduction of the medieval mitten found in Ribe. I've started to spin yarn of an appropriate gauge. I've chosen Jacob wool spun with my whorl #6 for this project. The yarn is fine, so it will take me a while to get enough for a pair of mittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment