Monday, March 10, 2014

Sharing

When I became apprenticed to Mistress Brid, the first thing she asked me was "why do you want to be a Laurel?" I told her it was because I love learning things and I wanted to be able to teach others the cool things I was learning. She smiled and said no more.

Soon after, a new person came to our spinning group. Brid told me that as the newest spinner of the group, it was my job to teach the new person. It was my job because as a new spinner I remembered the things that can be problematic when trying to spin for the first time. I was nervous, but it was one-to-one, surrounded by friends, and it worked. Brid continued to encourage me to teach at small, local events. It wasn't long before I realized that I didn't need to be a Laurel to pass on what I know, whether it was new research or a new craft. I went out to share what I know, whenever I could, because that's what makes me happy. Here is my favorite quote, from Isabel Allende:

"You only have what you give. It's by spending yourself that you become rich. Give - what is the point of having experience, knowledge, or talent if I don't give it away? Of having stories if I don't tell them to others? Of having wealth if I don't share it?"

So, earlier this year Brid came to me and said, "Barbeta is having a hard time getting teachers for Novice Schola this year. Will you teach something?" Of course I said yes. And Richard, who had recently been inducted into the Order of the Terpsicore, said he would teach a beginning dance class. Both of our classes were scheduled for first thing in the day. I was a little disappointed because I had offered to come to his class in case he needed more people to make enough sets (and I like to dance). But, I was looking forward to Mistress Deonna's woodwinds class, so it was going to be a good day.

I didn't get to that class. I was called into vigil. That is a story for another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment