Monday, January 23, 2017

Knitting Projects

I'm continuing to make slow progress with my reproduction Swedish socks. I am decreasing now. At first I thought decreasing each time I came to the outer point of the decorative triangles would be enough, but it wasn't decreasing fast enough. I decided to also decrease when I reached the base of the triangles, but decreasing at that purl point was confusing me. I decided to decrease within the knit stitches.
Now my problem is actually remembering to decrease!

I have two other knitting projects underway. The first is a sock pattern from the book "New Directions in Sock Knitting." I bought the book because I am a builder at heart. I love exploring different ways to put things together. I chose this particular pattern because it looked like one of the easier ones in the book, meaning the sock construction, not the cables.


I completed the leg section without too many mistakes in the cable pattern. Rather than knitting the heel and then picking up stitches for the gusset, this pattern adds purl stitches every other row between the cables. This creates the gusset without having to pick up stitches later. I like the look of the sock, but I am not having fun knitting it. And isn't that the point? I'm considering ripping it out to the base of the leg and justcontinuing as an ordinary sock. In the meantime, I've stopped knitting. I know in my heart that I am unlikely to ever finish the second sock if I continue this way. Is it really worth it to keep pushing through? Maybe I should frog the whole thing and choose a different pattern?

My third project came about while I was researching for a nalbinding class I am teaching this spring. I came across a video for herringbone stitch. I love the look of it and decided to give it a try. I'll tell you the details in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment