Saturday, January 28, 2017

Spindle

I don't usually find myself wanting to recommend a fiction book to people. These days I read much more history and archaeology. But I have just finished reading a book that I want to recommend to every spinner. The book is "Spindle," by E. K. Johnston. As you may guess, it is a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty tale, from the viewpoint of the spinners. I have looked at E. K. Johnston's webpage, and it says nothing about it one way or the other, but I find it hard to believe that she is not a spinner herself. Her descriptions of the act, the feeling, the emotion of spinning is so true to what I feel, if she is not a spinner, she must know one. With every page I read I could feel the pull of my own spindle. Even if you are not a spinner, it's a really good story. If you are one, you'll love it.

2 comments:

  1. There is a former pilot in my writing group and when he writes about flying, or piloting a plane, his descriptions are so detailed that you just know it was written by someone who's 'been there, done that'.

    Recently someone else wrote about about sailing a small craft out to an off-shore island. The mechanics of sailing and the descriptions of floating along the water, breezes, sounds, textures, were so believable, we all thought she'd sailed herself. Nope, she'd never even been in a boat on the ocean (other than the Staten Island Ferry). Now that's GOOD writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to let you borrow the book.

    ReplyDelete