Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Happiness is a Warm Pair of Mittens

I may be looking forward to spring, but as long as we have to deal with winter, what's better than new mittens? Remember the yarn I spun over the summer, around the campfire? Not my best spinning, but look what happens when you put together two not quite perfect yarns:


The hounds-tooth pattern meant that any spots where the yarn was a bit thin was reinforced by the other yarn behind it. They turned out to be quite warm.

But if one pair is good, two pairs are better, right? I used the S-spun, Z-plied yarn to try a bit of twine knitting.

I didn't have a pattern, or any stitch directions with me when I started, so my "rings" didn't turn out exactly as they should until I got to the very last one. I just made it up as I went along, and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. And, they are very warm.

Between the two projects I finally used up the wool from the very first roving ever I bought (from the owner of a beautiful Romney-Corriedale sheep) oh those many years ago - almost 10, if anyone is counting. It had been put aside for exotic breeds and fancy colors. I'd almost forgotten how nice it is to play with a basic natural fiber. I think I'll pull out some BFL for my next spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment