Monday, June 3, 2013

making progress

Just about the only thing I have been working on for the past month is my embroidery project. I am closer to done than not done at this point. Here is how it looks today:


This is what I have learned about the Bayeux stitch so far:

  • It is much quicker to execute than I had expected.
  • You need to be careful to make sure to lay down enough threads across the ground. They shouldn't overlap, but they should definitely be touching. This becomes especially important once the couching threads are added.
  • Do not pull the couching threads too tight. If the long threads are too tight, it pulls the ground away from the edges. If the attaching stitches are too tight it creates gaps in the ground threads.
  • The couching threads can be manipulated a little bit to make the ground threads evenly spaced.
Getting the right coverage and tension takes some practice. The king's tunic is better than the queen's. Mistress Briony suggested weaving in an extra thread if there are spots with poor coverage. I will probably need to do that in a couple of spots, but when I added the fold lines on top of the couching it took care of most of the thin spots. Overall, I'm happy with how it is turning out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment