Friday, June 7, 2013

spinning flax

I've decided it is time to start tackling one of my goals for 2013 - learning to spin flax. I've started with tow, which was given to me by someone who was giving up spinning. I have about a 200 gram ball of it. The fibers are fairly short - about 8 centimeters. I am using a modern 40 gram disk spindle. I decided I should start with something very easy to spin with, rather than a medieval style spindle, so that I wouldn't have to pay attention to too many things at once. Even so, I have dropped the spindle several times when I haven't noticed it back-spinning. But I am making progress - slowly. While it is not particularly difficult, I cannot take my eye off the "roving" if I want a consistent thread diameter. It is S-spun at 9-10 wraps per centimeter. That  might be a good gauge for weaving a basket cover.

It's a very different spinning experience from spinning wool or other animal fibers. It will take getting used to.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the flax! I started with flax and when I went to wool I found it a huge difference. I delighted in the fact that if I'd drafted too mich fibre and gotten a slub it was so easy to fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I can use all I can get. My spindle is almost full now, and it has gotten easier. But wool is much more forgiving. I keep reminding myself that my first spindle of wool thread was not a thing of beauty either. I will try spinning the long flax fibers as soon as I get around to dressing my distaff.

      Delete