Monday, January 6, 2014

timed test mitten

I've finished my test mitten. Here is my tally:


It took 3 hours and 25 minutes to stitch from the beginning to the start of the thumb hole. It took another 4 hours and 10 minutes to reach the point where the decreasing rows began. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to stitch the 6 decreasing rows, and 45 minutes to stitch the thumb. That is a total of 9 hours and 35 minutes for one mitten. Each time I sat down to work, I stitched for at least 20 minutes without interruption, up to 2 hours for my longest stretch.


As I suspected would happen, the finished mitten is smaller than the Ribe mitten. It measures 12.5 cm x 22.5 cm, compared to 14 cm x 26.5 cm. But the shape and proportion seems right. And I think the time is comparable to what it would take to make the original mitten, since the yarn is slightly thicker and the stitches slightly larger. People who look at my test mittens find it unusual that the cuff is so short, but that is how the real mitten is.

So, what is the total effort to make a pair of mittens? 15 hours to get ready, 19 hours and 10 minutes to stitch a pair = 34 hours and 10 minutes. Yes, I would be distressed to lose one.

No comments:

Post a Comment