Tuesday, June 5, 2012

War of the Roses - Part II

War of the Roses is also the event where our Barony chooses its A&S champion. This year's challenge was to create an item for a Concordian who was moving away. The piece had to be created in 2 weeks time and be small enough to fit on a plate. My entry to the competition was my latest version of the Skjoldehamn Hood. This is an artifact from Norway that I have been fascinated with since I first came across it about a year and a half ago. Many people have been studying this find of a complete outfit, dated to the 11th century. I intend to eventually complete a version of the entire outfit, but I am studying one layer at a time. With this version of the hood I duplicated the size and stitching of the original, but used wool tabby instead of twill, being the material I had on hand.
I was pleased with the results, and the fact that the hood fits me. Part of the mystery of the find is that it is unclear whether the owner of the hood was male or female. My hood turned out well enough that I was chosen as Baronial A&S Champion. It is a great honor and I am looking forward to sharing my enthusiasm for arts and sciences with many people in the upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment