Monday, July 16, 2012

The Mammen remnants

I am currently working on a project to reproduce the curious remnants found at Mammen parish, Denmark. For well over 100 years people have been speculating about what they could have been. I'm not completely comfortable with any of the ideas I've read, and I'm hoping that reproducing them will give me some clues to their original purpose.

I need to learn 2 skills to be able to duplicate these beautiful remnants. The center section of each piece is nalbound of silver and gold thread. This is the artifact that gave the Mammen stitch its name. The stitches are tiny. They cannot be made over the thumb as is the usual practice with nalbinding. I have been practicing with various threads and have found a gauge that I think will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment