Tuesday, July 24, 2012

So many breeds, so little time

For the past 3 years I have been spinning every animal fiber I could get my hands on. I am always on the lookout for a new breed to try. I haven't found one yet that I didn't like - even Herdwick, which is rather like spinning steel wool. Some of my favorite wools to spin are Shetland (a double coated fleece with a fairly long staple, and enough crimp to make it easy to spin - it makes a strong thread); Jacob (not as soft as Shetland, but it has a nice feel); Blue Faced Leicester (fine, easy to spin, and a nice luster); and Wensleydale (a modern sheep, it's not particularly soft, but its fleece has a very long staple and a beautiful shine; there is a crispness to fabric made from this wool). And then of course there are the luxuries - cashmere, yak and camel down - who could resist! (These are all short staples.)

Mistress Thora gave me horsetail to play with. It is not the same as horse hair, and I can't spin it. It is too "plastic-y." I tried to make whipcord with it, but it was too brittle. The best I could do so far was a simple braid.

I'm currently spinning camel hair. This is not the same as camel down. The fibers are long and course. I imagine it would make good tent fabric.

I think it is time for me to branch out and learn to spin silk and flax.

A sampler of breeds I've spun.

No comments:

Post a Comment