Friday, January 18, 2013

More on my spinning project

As I am testing the effect of spin direction on fabric design, one of the things I am curious about is if and how the fiber choice impacts the looks and feel of the cloth. The artifact I am basing my study on is a 2/2 twill. My first test was made with the gray Shetland wool. I wove my sample in the same pattern as the artifact - 4s-4z-4s-4z-4s-32z...in both directions. Due to the natural color variations of the fibers it is difficult to see the pattern, except in bright light.

I then spun the same wool and wove the same plaid as a tabby instead of a twill. I was surprised to see that the thread difference was much easier to see.

twill

tabby

In both samples the S and Z threads lie differently in the fabric. With the tabby, the difference is more textural, and it can be felt when you run your fingers over the cloth, particularly at the narrow stripes (which are at the top of the photo). I hope you will be able to see the difference in the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment