Friday, June 8, 2012

Crystal Snowflake Ball

Crystal Snowflake Ball is a medieval dance event that Concordia holds every spring. This year (4/28/2012) I was the autocrat. While I've chipped in to help at other events, this was the first time that I was in charge. I was lucky to have so many people volunteer to help. Even a simple event takes a lot of planning.

The event was held at the First Lutheran Church in Albany, NY. The space resembles a large medieval hall, so no decorating is even needed. We had a group of very talented dance instructors and musicians, and a most delicious Russian-themed day board. We also had a space where fiber and scribal arts were being practiced, and an A&S display. People came from as far away as New York City, Rhode Island, and even Canada. I wanted to broaden people's horizons, so I challenged the instructors to put dances in the sets which were not usually done in Concordia. Everyone danced the night away.
Now they teach some of these "new" dances at our practices. And in the end we came out $5 ahead. I'll call it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment