Monday, June 4, 2012

War of the Roses

War of the Roses is the biggest event that Concordia puts on. It is a fighting/camping/ Arts & Sciences event. This year we had a particularly large turn out because the King & Queen, and Prince & Princess attended. I volunteered to coordinate family activities for the weekend, and I'm so glad I did. The children all had a great time participating in field games, art and science activities. I was lucky enough to have many volunteers so that activities were available all day long. I taught classes in pottery, jewelry making, stick weaving, construction techniques (how to build a strong wall), and beginning embroidery. The children even embroidered handkerchiefs for the Queen.


Mistress Brid coordinated a group project to make a "Book of Hours" for the King and Queen. Together, Lady Siobhan, Lady Heather Rose and myself constructed a book with embroidered covers. Heather Rose constructed the book itself - making the quires and oak cover boards, binding them with the Coptic Stitch. Siobhan spun linen thread and wove the fabric for the covers. I spun the wool embroidery thread and embroidered the covers. We were all very pleased with the outcome.




My design for the front cover (The Tiger of the East) is adapted from a 13th century illumination of a lion from the Lewis Psalter. The back cover is adapted from a 12th century carving on a Lewis Chessman.






No comments:

Post a Comment